COVID-19 Updates
Home / People / Getting or Renewing a U.S. Passport

Getting or Renewing a U.S. Passport

Apply for or Renewing a U.S. Passport News | July 6, 2017


To have a U.S. passport, you must be a U.S. citizen.

Passport Book and Passport Card

Depending on where you are traveling outside of the U.S., you will need to determine if you need a passport book or a passport card.

  • A passport book is required for all international travel by air.
  • To enter the United States at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, you can use a passport book or a passport card.
  • A passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book, but it cannot be used for international travel by air.

How to Apply

The application process is the same for either the passport book or card, even if you want both at the same time. You have to go in person to present your application.


Check Also

NM State Rep. Gonzales Honored by NMTA

The New Mexico Transit Association (NMTA), has honored New Mexico State Representative Roberto “Bobby” Gonzales …